How to Register for the ORI Certfication Examination?
Examination Score Requirements for Certification
The Oxford Research Institute certification requires applicants to sit for an examination in one of two professional areas: Certified Industrial Ergonomist (CIE), or Certified Human Factors Engineering Professional (CHFEP). An exam is also required for the Certified Associate Ergonomist (CAE) level and the Certified Assistant Ergonomist (CAsE) level.
The examination score is one of the requirements that determines your eligibility for a specific certification level. The required examination scores for each certification level required are listed below.
- Certified Human Factors Engineering Professional (CHFEP) - Requires an CHFEP Examination Score of 85%, or better
- Certified Industrial Ergonomist (CIE) - Requires an CIE Examination Score of 85%, or better
- Certified Associate Ergonomist (CAE) - Requires an CAE Examination Score of 70%, or better
- Certified Assistant Ergonomist (CAsE) - Requires an CAsE Examination Score of 60%, or better
Registering for Certification Examination
To register to sit for an exam you must apply for certification. First step is to submit the certfication application form (available for download on homepage here ). There is a processing fee of $495.00 payable using our web portal at the time you submit your application that covers the application review process, administration of your the submittals and sitting for the examination.
Certification Examination Overview
The examination is conducted in a live classroom environment and proctored by an ORI representative. There is no on-line version offered at this time. See an overview description below. The dates of the exam are posted on the certification landing page (here) and the ORI home page. The examinations are typically offered two times a year.
Certification candidates must demonstrate subject matter knowledge by passing a rigorous ~ 150 question written exam with Q&A and Essay. The written exam has two parts: Essay and Q&A
Part 1. Essay - to solve an ergonomics problem presented via video. The exam essayanswer will consist of an essay response to a question on applied ergonomic and outcome solutions (1 hour to respond).
Part 2. Q&A includes sections with Multiple Choice, True False, Matching, fill in the blank. Approx. 150 items (1 hour 30 min to respond).
Certification Exam Study Guide Information
The CAE and CIE exam will be offered only to applicants who have applied for certification (see attached certification application). The exam will cover information, which may be found in the following books:
- Ergonomic Design For People at Work, Volume II by the Eastman Kodak Co., 1986 ISBN 0-442-22103-7 Publisher, Van Norstrand Reinhold or the latest single volume edition.
- Effective Computer Display Design, Banks and Weimer, 1992, Prentice Hall Publishers, ISBN 0-13-401-027-2 (this document is primarily for those applicants who are applying for the Human Factors Engineering certification)
- Human Factors in Engineering and Design, Saunders and McCormick, 7th – 10th Editions, 1993 McGraw Hill Publishers, ISBN 0-07-054901-X
- OSHA Ergonomics
- NIOSH ELEMENTS OF ERGONOMICS PROGRAMS